Hoi An Chiken Rice is a very typical dish of this ancient city. It holds a special position in the world’s culinary map and in foreign visitors’ minds. Hoi An’s sophisticated gastronomic culture and locally sourced ingredients have given Hoi An Chicken Rice a rich, buttery melt-in-your-mouth sensation that cannot found anywhere else.
1 What is the Chicken Rice in Hoi An?
To make Hoi An Chicken Rice, Hoi An people carefully choose rice and chicken of top quality. Only free-range chickens raised in countryside gardens, not the industrial factory-style birds are selected to cook. The chicken meat is boiled with some ginger. Boiled chicken is cut or torn into smaller slices and then mash the pieces with salt, pepper, chili, sliced onions and Vietnamese coriander to the best absorb their flavors.
The rice was soaking in the water for about 2 to 3 hours. It is cook with chicken broth, with a dash of fresh turmeric to give it a glossy yellow colour. This dish is served with peppermint, papaya, salted onions and the famous chili sauce.
The chicken rice will be served with rice below of the plate. Chicken will be on top of the rice with the sauce. Then, visitor just need to mix it up and eat.
2 The Origin Of Hoi An Chicken Rice
Chicken rice dish has been around since 1950. It is known that Tam Ky is famous for delicious chicken. With creativity and skillful hands, Hoi An people took advantage of fresh chicken from Tam Ky and fragrant sticky rice grown by the Thu Bon river to make a famous delicious chicken rice dish. Previously, chicken rice was sold on street vendors all over the streets and alleys of Hoi An ancient town. Gradually, chicken rice was sold in large restaurants.
Hoi An Chicken Rice Recipe
It is simple to cook the Chicken Rice. Here are the ingredients and steps to make this special food
- A whole chicken
- 200 Gr Rice
- 15Gr Turmeric Powder
- 2 Onions
- 3 Purple Onions
- 1 Ginger
- 30 ml Oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 20 Gr Fried Onion
- 100 Gr of Papaya
- 1 Carrot
- Mint Leaves
- 3 lemons
- Five-spice powder
- Fish Saunce : 4 – 5 spoons
How to make this special dish?
Step 1: Boil the chicken
- Wash the chicken several times
- Put a large pot of water on the stove, add the onion, red onion, sliced ginger and turmeric powder, stir well, then add the chicken.
- Boil on medium heat until the water boils slightly, then reduce the heat to the lowest level and cook for another 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Note: Save the chicken’s broth for cooking rice.
Step 2: Shred and season the chicken
- Once the chicken has cooled down, use your hands to shred it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of five spice powder, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of ground pepper and the juice 3 lemons
- Mix and marinate chicken for 15 minutes before serving.
Step 3: Cooking Rice
- Wash the rice, put it in a basket to drain.
- Put the pan on the stove, add the minced garlic and saute it with cooking oil.
- When garlic is fragrant, add the rice and roast it until it is dry.
- Put the roasted rice in the rice cooker, pour the chicken broth in step 1 into the rice, press the cook button as usual.
Step 4 : Making the salad
- Papayas and carrots are preliminarily cleaned, drained, and thinly sliced to taste.
- Put carrots, papaya and onions in a bowl of ice cold water, soak for 15 minutes to reduce the pungent smell and make it more crispy, take it out and let it drain.
- Mix all together and add in mint leaves in the end.
Top 3 best places for Chicken Rice in Hoi An
Below are recommend restaurants that are delicious and qualified. Locals and tourists enjoy not only tasty cuisines but also cheap budgets. It brings Hoi An special flavor to the world
Com Ga Ba Buoi
Com Ga Ba Buoi – Chicken Rice in Ba Buoi restaurant. It is located in Hoi An ancient town and easy to travel here to enjoy tasty chicken rice. This restaurant has the best chicken rice in Hoi An. It menu at Ba Buoi restaurant is very diverse. The rice is cooked very well and delicious, the chicken has a very nice, golden color. A serving of rice is often served with a small bowl of soup, helping you feel full.
Address: 22 Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam
Cost: 35.000 VND – 50.000 VND
Com Ga Ba Nga
Com Ga Ba Nga: This the second recommended restaurant. Coming here to enjoy flavorful and tasty chicken rice Mrs.Nga has opened this restaurant since a long time ago, she has well experience in cooking local cuisines.
Address: 08 Phan Chau Trinh Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam
Cost: 45.000 VND – 50.000 VND.
Xi Restaurant is the third recommended restaurant. Locating in a small alley but you can easily to find this place. With only 25,000 VND, you can order a delicious Hoi An shredded chicken rice at this restaurant. In addition, the shop also has chicken salad, drinks for diners to freely choose. The restaurant is also highly appreciat for its fast and dedicated service.
Address: 47/2 Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoi An, Quang Nam.
Cost: 25.000 VND – 50.000 VND.
Contact us should you have any questions or need assistance in your travel plans.